Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Community

While shopping for our Secret Santa gifts in center city, a friend and I were intrigued by music playing in Rittenhouse Square. Naturally, we headed over to the park to see what was going on. As it turns out it was the second night of Chanukah. There was a tent designed as a dreidel, with traditional food being served out front. People gathered around to sing songs as the make-do electric menorah was lit. A Rabbi was present to say a blessing. Afterwards kids were invited into the dreidel tent to watch a video on Chanukah and play games. My friend and I stood a bit aback, taking all of this in, and neither of us could help but smile. While we are not Jewish, the sense of community shown at this very moment was moving.

It doesn't matter what you believe, community is extremely important to a person's well-being. My community is my friends. As we sat around the next day exchanging our Secret Santa gifts the same feeling came over me - but this community was my own. As we are all apart from our families in college, our friends become our family. Love was in the air. Friend love...the most important kind. With a genuine sense of caring for each other.

Man, I didn't mean to get sappy...

No comments: