Sunday, June 10, 2007

"I wish I was black"

I remember having this conversation with a good friend from home. When we were younger, reading the American Girl books, Addy's stories were our favorites. We hated white people for doing such terrible things to the blacks, to Addy and her family. We didn't want to be associated with those mean, racist people. We wanted to suffer along with Addy.

I was reminded of this idea today. My boss was talking about the Odunde festival, so I decided to pay it a visit on my way to the Italian market, where I get my produce each week. As soon as I hit the area where the streets were blocked off I was immersed in culture. It was a great feeling. While my friends are either too busy, or too boring (just kidding) I wandered around by myself. I probably stood out like a sore thumb, but I didn't feel unwelcome. The streets were filled with different booths selling African and Caribbean artistry. While I was seriously considering beginning the practice of incense burning, I was overwhelmed by the smell of fried food. Fried chicken, fried fish, fried shrimp, french fries and funnel cake was everywhere - I almost felt sick, and decided to continue on down the rows. Many women were dressed in traditional African clothing, which set the scene. African dancing to drums was taking place on the stage. Everyone was celebrating the culture, their heritage, everyone was a part of a greater community.

This is why I love Philly so much. There is such an array of ethnicities and cultures. Sometimes I wish I was a part of one, instead of just a Caucasian mix. Or that I knew more about my own heritage. African-Americans from all different parts of Africa and the Caribbean had such a bond, such a rich culture. But it works for me right now to just stand back and absorb it all. Take the spirit into my own heart. I plan to explore other parts of Philly. But, right now, I better start studying for that midterm tomorrow.

No comments: