Monday, July 9, 2007

I'm seeing stars

Quite a contrast to the light pollution of the city. I spent the past weekend camping by the North Santiam river with 4 friends. It was beautiful, peaceful, and fun-filled. We did the traditional cooking over the campfire with chicken and vegetable kabobs, followed later by banana boats and s'mores. Played cards and chatted by the fire until bed. The girls woke up early Saturday morning for a run, and we all continued to fill the day with a water fight, volleyball, kayaking, and a little hike while the boys went fishing. After dinner we all laid out on an open field looking at the stars. It was very striking. We could see the milky way and a million stars so that constellations no longer stood out. Apparently there were a few shooting stars too - but my gaze was never lucky enough to catch one. Although, I'm not quite sure what I would wish for at this point had I seen one. I am pretty darn happy. I am at home in nature. Even so I am jokingly called Sacajawea by my friends because of the way I kayak. While sitting around the campfire our last night - a friend looked over at me and commented that I looked very happy. All I was doing was staring off into space.

All you need to do is come to Oregon and see how beautiful it is, and you will understand why I am so passionate about the environment. Hug a tree.

No comments: