Tuesday, July 10, 2007

"If we can find money to kill people, we can find money to help people."

What a concept. People helping out other people. Healthcare should be a basic human right. What is freedom, if you aren't healthy to enjoy it. All the issues surrounding the United States healthcare system that are dear to my heart were exposed in Michael Moore's most recent documentary Sicko. I don't care that so many people thing he is over the top and one-sided, he is an excellent reporter that digs deep for information. He got into Cuba for heaven sakes.

This film needs to be watched by everyone in America. It made things I already knew about the healthcare industry and insurance companies real. It magnifies the stereotypical greed of Americans and the U.S. government. If it is not for a profit, then it is pointless. People's lives are not pointless.


I won't go into a whole rant, because I would just be reitterating the points made in the movie. But one thing I do want to add: as I was in the bathroom after the movie I head someone say "My doctor needs to see that movie." It is not the doctors. It is not the healthcare professionals (for the most part). It is the system. It is the insurance companies and politicians. The doctor's hands are tied. Some major reform needs to take place.


Part of me wants to practice nursing in another country where I can give the best care to every patient, while the other part of me wants to fight within the healthcare system here in the U.S. for reform.


For now though, I am off for a 3 week European vacation. To countries with socialized, free, unverisal healthcare. I am super excited to go exploring with my friend and my sister. Wish me a safe trip, and if not, at least I will be taken care of - no strings attached.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well written article.