Wednesday, April 9, 2008

My Answer

For about two months I have been caught off guard by the almost daily question "What are you? What do you believe?" I feel flustered that I have to define myself solely on the basis of religion. I have to define myself by something I am not, something that gives no insight into who I am. Therefore I have not expressed myself well in my reply.
I think I finally have come up with a good response:

I am human. I believe in today. I believe in this life, that we should embrace what we have and make the most of it. I believe in people. I believe in freedom. I believe in love.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is amazing! I have been trying to come up with something like this for decades! I could not have said what I believe any better than you have here. Thank you.