Wednesday, August 8, 2007

You'd never take a walk with me, would you?

The lyrics sung by Pink in her song "Dear Mr. President" are so beautifully put. Very different from her more popular songs, in which she tends to sound angry and loud, "Mr. President" sounds genuine and soft. After hearing this song for the first time and multiple times thereafter in Europe, I couldn't help but wonder: Why have I not heard this song, out since December 2006, in the country whose administration it refers to?

After polling a few of my friends, I got one "I think I heard it once during spring break," one "I might have heard the concept of the song," and one response by a devil's advocate saying "it's an old song, why would it be playing now?" (By the way - I've only been hearing old songs on the radio lately - where is the new music?). The rest had never heard of it. And believe me, if my liberal group of friends has not heard this song, the vast majority of America has not either.

As I was snuggled all warm in my bed, visions of censorship danced in my head. I had to investigate...was this our government preventing the American population from hearing this song? Afraid it would put ideas of dislike of our president in the remaining 25% of people who still approve of him
? Or is it just the patriotic loyalty through thick and thin causing Americans to not want to even hear the song?

I decided to email the program director of one of the local Portland, OR radio stations (105.1 The Buzz) and ask. I was pleased with the promptness and kindness of the response:

Thanks for your note. That's a good question because that's a good
song. I'm not sure if the music label might have had a different
marketing strategy for that song overseas than here, given the
difference in politics. Yours is the first request we've had for it, so
maybe other people will catch on to it and it'll become popular as time
goes on.

You may not be aware of this, but it is remarkably hard for us to just
pick music off of CDs and play it, hoping that it will become popular.
We certainly don't play what the record labels tell us to, but unless
the music labels are hyping music with videos on VH1, billboards and bus
signs, clips on "Grey's Anatomy" and etc, we have a hard time making a
song a hit if we are the only media outlet playing it. It's possible,
but harder than it would seem.

Anyway, please keep us in mind when you hear good music that we should
consider. I'll make sure that our music director knows that you like
that song!

Jeff McHugh
Program Director
I'm not sure why the music label would have different marketing strategies for different countries - or no marketing strategy for this one at all - but that is one world I know absolutely nothing about. I can only guess what is going on with Pink's brave practice of free speech (we all remember what happened to the Dixie Chicks when the spoke out against the president), but I really hope that people stand up for the rights that they still have.

Conclusion: Europe does a lot of things a lot better.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

a) awesome that you got a response from the program director!

b) yes the marketing strategy makes sense, most music deemed popular isn't from the bottom up but top down - the music moguls decide what songs to invest in and that's what gets replayed over and over again on the radio stations...i think i forgot to mention this when i was playing devil's advocate